Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Cellar


Ok...wrote this a couple of months ago. I went to church and the message was about the storms in our lives. This was my take. I have a friend who wrote a song based on this diatribe, which is included at the bottom.

When I was very young (5/6), my Dad woke me up and brought all three kids into the back yard to look at this incredible lightening storm. He told me not to be afraid and that what I was experiencing was a beautiful thing. He was teaching me to not be afraid of the storm. And, for the most part, I learned my lesson. Or so I thought.

These days…….storms scare the hell out of me. Life scares the hell out of me. Everyone has to weather storms. It’s a true sign of character that determines how you conduct yourself when the clouds come in. Do you run into the fruit cellar the minute a rain drop falls on your nose? Or, do you look up at the sky and give gratitude that the rain will revive the earth and give promise for a better tomorrow?

For some reason, the cellar door looks ominous yet inviting to me. I can open it up and step into a safe, dark place where no one can touch or hurt me. I am invisible to all. Now that I’m essentially living in a cellar, I realize that it’s not the lightening or the people that hurt me the most. It’s the isolation. And I don’t look up to the sky with gratitude. I look down with despair.

Destiny on the horizon.
Bleak and dark?
Many more storms to come?
Has God been impolite
Telling me to Shut Up
And get on with it?

Maybe I can come out of the cellar, open up an umbrella and take my chances. I can smell the air after the rain – clean, new and free of debris. And if I'm lucky, maybe I can find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The Song - The Cellar
These days
Storms scare the hell out of me
These days
Life scares the hell out of me

Everyone has to weather storms.
It’s a true sign of character that determines
how you conduct yourselfwhen the clouds come in.
Do you run into the cellar
the minute a drop of rain falls on your nose?
Or do you look up at the sky with gratitude
That the rain will renew the earth

The cellar door looks ominous yet inviting
It opens into a safe, dark place
Where nothing and no one can hurt me.

Now I’m living in a cellar
Where people and lightening
Can’t hurt me
But the isolation does.

I don’t look up to the sky with gratitude.
I look down with despair.

Destiny on the horizon?
Or more storms to come.
God’s been impolite
Says to get on with it.
“Come out of the cellar and take your chances.”

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to "Blog World". Yes, it does seem a bit dark, however, that is coming from someone who's favorite bands are Type O Negative and Pink Floyd. Acutally, blogs are very carthatic (sp). Check out some of my older posts about Baylor Football. Talk about dark, it makes yours look like a Miley Cyrus video. Play with some of the features. You can import some of mine if you like, just click on mine and it will take you to the site.
    Hope everything else is fine. Your picture from Arlingtons Finest(and soon your video) will be on my blog.
    Keep blogging. It is a good thing to do.

    I hate you
    (not really, just keeping in tune with the blog.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete